Saturday, January 26, 2013

Borderlands Shield Generator Part 2 (Cosplay)

Last time I got the structure and "moving parts" of my shield generator established.  This time I'll show you how I finished dressing it up.  Surprisingly this seemed like the much more challenging and time consuming part.  The structure fell together as if by magic, but the appearance required a lot of thinking and trial and error.  Here goes:


First, I taped up the plexi core to prevent it from getting dirty or scratched while working.  Then I started experimenting with craft foam as a "skin".  It cuts really easy, but behaved a little differently than I expected under the heat gun.  If you get it REALLY hot, you can stretch and deform it a little, but the best use of heat seemed to be in getting it to keep it's shape for gluing.  If I heated it just a tiny bit, it would stay exactly where I put it.  You can see how I formed a little box out of it above.  It's staying that way all on it's own.  That's comforting, because I'll know that as the glue ages, the foam won't be trying to tear itself apart!


Fitting some pieces around... you won't see it here, but I had to make a few of these a few times!  You can see the grey top piece trying to spring back into its heat formed shape while it's propped up for gluing.


Getting closer!  I trapped some thumbtacks under the black bottom foam so I'd have something to glue some little "terminals" to later.  I have some scrap EVA foam on them for safety.


Speaking of those termainals, here they are.  I squished some sculpy into a nut, and then unscrewed the nut after baking for a threaded look.  They have a pinhole in their bottoms so they can be glued onto the tacks later.


Finished foaming!


I used cheap craft acrylic paints (as suggested) to get the basic colors down.  (I have my old stencil print out for reference)


TA DA!  After the colors were on, I added the linework and details with markers and a little paint!  I hope you like how it turned out!  It blew away my own expectations!  I can't wait to wear it.  Don't leave home without your shield generator, safety is our #1 concern!

No comments:

Post a Comment